For my first Winter Sunday Dinner I am making Chicken Tortilla Soup. Still recovering from the holidays, I wanted to make something light and budget friendly. This recipe only costs around $20 and makes 12 servings. It is also the perfect cure if you’re like me and nursing a cold.
This Sunday I’m starting the new year off right with my super easy and delicious, Chicken Tortilla Soup
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cooking time: About 1 1/2 hours Serves: 10-12
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 whole 5 pound chicken
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 small yellow onion quartered
- 4 cloves of garlic peeled and smashed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 6 ounce can of tomato paste
- 9 cups of cold water
- 5 black peppercorns
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse your chicken and put in a large stock pot with quartered onion, peppercorns, smashed garlic and water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for one hour until chicken is tender and starting to fall apart.
- Remove chicken from pot and allow to cool enough so you can remove the meat.
- While the chicken is cooling, skim the fat from your chicken broth and strain the solids through a sieve. Set broth aside.
- Remove all the meat from the chicken and set aside.
- Rinse and wipe out your soup pot.
- Saute the onions, carrot and minced garlic in 2Tbsp oil until soft.
- Add tomato paste and stir into the vegetables.
- Whisk in all the broth and bring to a simmer
- Add chicken, then salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer soup for 5 minutes before serving.
I like to use sour cream, serrano chilis, avocado, cilantro, green onion, lots of hot sauce and of course tortillas. You can use your favorite tortilla chips and sprinkle them on top but I prefer to slice white corn tortillas into strips and fry them in oil until slightly golden.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!